History

In the spring of 1847 a group of Protestant businessmen, shipbuilders, merchants and clergy called a public meeting to discuss the possibility of buying land for a rural cemetery. The old protestant cemetery located near St. Matthew’s Church on rue Saint-Jean was full and the authorities requested that a new cemetery be established outside the city limits.

 

With the help of the well-known lumber merchant John Gilmour, member of first municipal council of Sillery and the founder of the cemetery, The Quebec Protestant Cemetery Association was created on February 11th 1848. Its first president was George O’Kill Stuart and its objectives were to collect the money necessary to buy land for a new Protestant cemetery and to lay out such a cemetery. The first Board of Directors was a fine example of ecumenical cooperation in the city in 1848. The deed incorporating the new cemetery was registered on May 30th 1849. It was at this time that the new cemetery was officially given the name of Mount Hermon.

Edward Bowen

Lawyer, judge and Chief Justice of the Québec Superior Court,1849-1866. Previous owner of the cemetery land in 1830.

James Douglas

Scottish surgeon and

co-founder of Beauport Asylum in 1845. Member

of 1st Cemetery Board of Directors.

George O’Kill Stuart

Lawyer, politician and judge. 1st President of Mount Hermon Cemetery. Judge

of the Vice-Admiralty Court

in 1873.

1851 regulations panel

On this cedar panel are laid down the strict rules and regulations applicable to owners of lots and all visitors to Mount Hermon Cemetery. This panel was probably made by the James Alfred Coperman Advertising Compagny Ltd around 1885-90, and is a perfect replica of the first panel, erected in May 1851.

 

It stands, near the entrance to the cemetery, and still can be read today.

RULES AND REGULATIONS OF MOUNT HERMON CEMETERY.

 

Visitors are reminded that these grounds are appropriated for the Interment of the Dead, and that a strict observance of the proprieties due to the place is therefore indispensable. Visitors will obtain the most favourable view of the grounds by keeping in the broad carriage avenue called the Tour.

  • The gates will be closed at sunset.

  • No vehicle admitted without a ticket.

  • No vehicle is to be driven in the Cemetery at a pace faster  than a walk.

  • No person admitted on horsebackNo horse to be left on the grounds unfastened, posts  being provided.

  • No horse to be taken off the avenues or paths.

  • No refreshments or parties carrying refreshments  are admitted within the grounds.

  • Walking sticks and flowers must be left at the Lodge  on entering.

  • No large assemblies of visitors are admitted except  in case of funerals.

  • No children admitted except accompanied by a guardian.

  • No smoking is permitted and no dogs allowed in the grounds.

  • No carriages are admitted on Sunday.

  • No person is permitted to pull flowers, or break any trees,  or plants, or to write upon or deface any monument, railing,  or other erection.

  • No persons except Stock and Lot holders and relatives  of those interred in the grounds, will be admitted on Sundays  and not during Divine Service.

  • The Superintendent may require the names of all persons  visiting the grounds.

  • Visitors are requested to enter their names in the register  at the Lodge.

  • No money to be given as a reward for services or attention  to any person in employ of the Cemetery.

  • The Superintendent and all persons acting under him have  full authority and are required to carry all regulations into effect.

  • Trespassers are liable to fine and imprisonment.

         

Quebec, May 1851

Superintendents 

James Millar – First superintendent, 1848 to 1855

Robert Annon Watters – Second superintendent, 1856 to 1864 

 

La famille Treggett – 1865 to 2014

In the manner of a real dynasty, more than four generations, of the Treggett family have preserved, maintained and embellished the 26 acres of Mount Hermon and its heritage of burial places.

William

Treggett

James

Treggett

Harold William

Treggett

Ian

Treggett

Pearl Muriel

Gilpin-Treggett

Brian

Treggett

The Treggett Bell

Placed in grateful testimony to the dedicated work of the four generations of the Treggett family who have acted as surperintendents of this cemetery since 1865.

William Treggett

Third superintendent, 1865 to 1908

 

James Treggett

Fourth superintendent, 1908 to 1933

 

Harold William Treggett

Ffth superintendent, 1933 to 1961

 

Ian Graham Treggett

Sixth superintendent, 1961 to 1963

 

Pearl Muriel Gilpin-Treggett

Seventh superintendent, 1963 to 1965

 

Brian James Treggett

Eighth superintendent, 1963 to 2014

Over time and with the evolution of practices, the role of the superintendent

has significantly changed and has slowly disappeared.

 
 

Cemetery map

Arranged on a ground of 26 acres and close 

the St. Lawrence River, over 17,000 persons

are buried in Mount Hermon Cemetery.

Offered services
  • Sale of lots – burial rights

  • Burial of caskets

  • Interment of urns

  • Temporary storage of caskets and urns

  • General maintenance of lots

  • Reception room

  • Inscription on tomb stones

  • Sale of monuments

  • Sale of urns made by Québec artists

  • Coordination of burials and internments

  • Possibility of planting flowers and shrubs under certain conditions

 

Activities

GENERATIONS CLUB QC

An English language group in Quebec City that supports each other in family history research.

at

MOUNT HERMON CEMETERY

Once a month beginning February 23rd at 1:00 p.m.

To obtain more information on activities, consult this site,

contact the cemetery at 418 527-3513, or e-mail us at: 

mounthermon@qc.aibn.com

 
 

Pictures

Contact

Our address

1801, chemin Saint-Louis

Québec (Québec) Canada  G1S 1H6

Phone: 418 527-3513

Fax: 418 527-0999

email: mounthermon@qc.aibn.com

Interac, VISA and MASTERCARD

payments accepted

Business hours
Tuesday to Friday inclusively
9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Executive Director 

Mark Brennan

This site is a courtesy of Charles Lessard and Hubert Vallée, in memory of Hélène Vallée (1987-2004). ©2016

 

View along the cliff.