In the spring of 1847 a group of Protestant businessmen, shipbuilders, merchants and clergy called a public meeting to discuss the possibility of buying land for a rural cemetery. The old protestant cemetery located near St. Matthew’s Church on rue Saint-Jean was full and the authorities requested that a new cemetery be established outside the city limits.
With the help of the well-known lumber merchant John Gilmour, member of first municipal council of Sillery and the founder of the cemetery, The Quebec Protestant Cemetery Association was created on February 11th 1848. Its first president was George O’Kill Stuart and its objectives were to collect the money necessary to buy land for a new Protestant cemetery and to lay out such a cemetery. The first Board of Directors was a fine example of ecumenical cooperation in the city in 1848. The deed incorporating the new cemetery was registered on May 30th 1849. It was at this time that the new cemetery was officially given the name of Mount Hermon.
Lawyer, judge and Chief Justice of the Québec Superior Court,1849-1866. Previous owner of the cemetery land in 1830.
Scottish surgeon and
co-founder of Beauport Asylum in 1845. Member
of 1st Cemetery Board of Directors.
George O’Kill Stuart
Lawyer, politician and judge. 1st President of Mount Hermon Cemetery. Judge
of the Vice-Admiralty Court
1851 regulations panel
On this cedar panel are laid down the strict rules and regulations applicable to owners of lots and all visitors to Mount Hermon Cemetery. This panel was probably made by the James Alfred Coperman Advertising Compagny Ltd around 1885-90, and is a perfect replica of the first panel, erected in May 1851.
It stands, near the entrance to the cemetery, and still can be read today.
RULES AND REGULATIONS OF MOUNT HERMON CEMETERY.
Visitors are reminded that these Grounds are appropriated for the Interment of the Dead, and that a strict observance of the proprieties due to the place is therefore indispensable. Visitors will obtain the most favourable view of the grounds by keeping in the broad carriage avenue called the Tour.
The gates will be closed at sunset.
No vehicle admitted without a ticket.
No vehicle is to be driven in the Cemetery at a pace faster than a walk.
No person admitted on horseback
No horse to be left in the grounds unfastened, posts being provided.
No horse to be taken off the avenues or paths.
No refreshments or parties carrying refreshments are admitted within the grounds.
Walking sticks and flowers must be left at the Lodge on entering.
No large assemblies of visitors are admitted except in case of funerals.
No children admitted except accompanied by a Guardian.
No smoking is permitted and no dogs allowed in the grounds.
No carriages are admitted on Sunday.
No person is permitted to pull flowers, or break any trees, or plants, or to write upon or deface any monument, railing, or other erection.
No persons except Stock and Lot holders and relatives of those interred in the grounds, will be admitted on Sundays and not during Divine Service.
The Superintendent may require the names of all persons visiting the grounds.
Visitors are requested to enter their names in the register at the Lodge.
No money to be given as a reward for services or attention to any person in employ of the Cemetery.
The Superintendent and all persons acting under him have full authority and are required to carry all regulations into effect.
Trespassers are liable to fine and imprisonment.
Quebec, May 1851
James Millar – First superintendent, 1848 to 1855
Robert Annon Watters – Second superintendent, 1856 to 186
The Treggett family – From 1865 to 2014
In the manner of a real dynasty, more than four generations, of the Treggett family have preserved, maintained and embellished the 26 acres of Mount Hermon and its heritage of burial places.
William Treggett – Third superintendent, 1865 to 1908
James Treggett – Fourth superintendent, 1908 to 1933
Harold William Treggett – Fifth superintendent, 1933 to 1961
Ian Graham Treggett – Sixth superintendent, 1961 to 1963
Pearl Muriel Gilpin-Treggett – Seventh superintendent, 1963 to 1965
Brian James Treggett – Eighth superintendent, 1963 to 2014
Over time and with the evolution of practices, the role of the superintendent has significantly changed and has slowly disappeared.
The Treggett Bell
Placed in grateful testimony to the dedicated work of the four generations of the Treggett family who have acted as surperintendents of this cemetery since 1865.